Easter Day, I had just returned from celebration #1 (with several families, holidays are a bouncing of place to place) to check on the new ducks I had just picked up the day before. They were, of course, out yonder and not where I wanted them to stay, so I herded them back where I wanted them.
During this escapade, I caught Sari eating something off the ground. Not where food is normally put. It was a bit odd, so I just watched a few more minutes while herding furiously-quacking ducks.
Then I saw her paw at the ground and lay down. That really got my attention. Forgoing duck herding for the moment, I watched a few more minutes, and saw her strain.
Yep! It was happening!
According to my online chart, she was supposed to kid in three days, not today. (I’m using an online calculator, and this is the second time it’s been wrong, so I need to stop trying to cheat and just make the calculations myself)
I had my partner’s brother (who was helping me herd ducks) call my partner down below and bring hot water and towels, and I got Sari into the kidding pen. She was even straining while standing up, which meant a kid was pressing against her cervix and really ready to get this show on the road.
After about 20 minutes of serious straining I knew something wasn’t going right. I should have seen presentation of some sort. So after I lathered up with soap and water, I carefully pushed in to see what was happening.
I have a lot of experience with this. I used to help kid 40 – 60 goats a year, and at least half of them always had something wrong with presentation. It probably would have worked itself out over time, but it’s hard for me to watch them straining and obviously in pain and not do anything about it.
It took me a minute to locate the head – which was right there, as it was supposed to be – and then I found another head right next to it. Both kids were trying to come out at the same time. There wasn’t a lot of room for either one to really move around, so both of them were pressing. Not necessarily incorrectly aligned or one foot of each trying to come out (which I’ve had before), but still a problem.
I pushed one kid back and carefully followed a head down the neck to the shoulder to find the feet. I wasn’t able to do that totally (as it was pretty tightly crammed in there and I didn’t want to hurt mom any more than I had to) but I did a skip hop to feel both feet were there. Then I tugged a little to line them up right.
Sari pushed; I carefully pulled (just in case I had a wrong foot), and black baby doeling #1 entered the world. My partner and I cleared her mouth and nose, she sneezed and coughed a little, and there she was!
I placed her next to mom’s head, and Sari licked for half a second before starting to push again. A nose immediately presented, only a head – I was worried for a few minutes it was elbow-locked (front feet too far back and elbows flared out). But Sari pushed and I somewhat helped and blonde baby doeling #2 arrived!
Nose was cleared, and exhausted baby sprawled out next to mom. I noted that both of them were pretty skinny, but I blamed it on being early (which I now think may not be true).
I checked mom one more time for babies, just to be sure there weren’t any more (I’d already had my CLEAN hand inside, so I it wouldn’t hurt), and carefully found just growing-babies stuff, so I left Sari alone.
Then I turned to the babies. Ohmygawd two baby girls, a black and a blonde!
I made sure to dip their cords in iodine and check noses and faces. The blonde girl was pretty sprawled out, enough to worry me just a tiny bit, as the black doeling was already trying to stand and was already making a lot of noise.
But after a little bit and a nap, she was just fine. A little cold the next morning, but both of them are slowly getting the hang of nursing, and mom is being incredibly patient and careful with them.
Yay, healthy goats all around!